Organizational Communication Live Case Challenge
Each year, we invite organizations to share their communication challenges with our graduate students as a ‘live case’ assignment within their first residency courses, and as part of the requirement for their Masters of Arts degree in Professional Communication. We would welcome your participation!
The students research your organization and conduct their analysis. Two or more teams then present their analysis, recommendations and a communications plan to your organizational representatives in a formal presentation at RRU. We have two intakes a year (October - November, and May - June).
What your participation would entail:
- Meet with us, in person or virtually, to discuss the communication challenge you would like the students to address (ie. building teams, building culture, establishing a reputation, addressing public concerns, employee engagement, managing growth, rebuilding trust after a crisis, change, creating stucture, etc.)
Record an interview (20 minutes) to describe your organization and present the challenge to the teams.
- Answer questions or host visits from students over two weeks (time parameters established by you).
Attend the final student presentations at RRU Centre for Dialogue where you will be given two or more teams’ analyses of your challenge, recommendations, and communications plan for implementation. You will be invited to ask questions and engage with teams after the presentations.
- Participate in a follow up phone call six months after the exercise to discuss the impact of recommendations.
Students in the SCC programs doing practicums and internships are also available to work with these organizations after the Org Comm Challenge completes, to continue the ideas and solutions that the Masters students have created.
For further information, please contact:
- Barbara Collombin Coordinator, MAPC Organizational Communication Challenge
- Dr. Jennifer Walinga MAPC Program Head
Former Participating Organizations:
- Aptoella Rugby
- BC Developer’s Exchange
- BC Golf
- BC Hydro
- BC Liquor Distribution Branch
- Cinema Canadiana
- Community Social Planning Council
- Comox Valley Child Development Association
- Education Beyond Borders
- Fernwood Neighbourhood Resource Center
- Game Plan
- Hotel Rialto
- Inter Cultural Association
- Island Health
- Kid Care Canada
- Leadership Victoria
- Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows Community Services
- Mediate BC
- Minerva BC
- Ministry of Education
- Office of Adam Olsen, MLA
- Pacific Institute for Sport Excellence
- Power To Be
- Red Hat
- Royal Bank Colwood
- RRU Alumni Relations
- Rugby Canada
- Sask Power
- Serious Coffee
- Special Olympics Victoria
- Sustainable Archaeology Animation
- Vancouver Foundation
- Vancouver Inner City Women’s Network
- Vintage Wings of Canada
From a recent organizational communication challenge “client”:
"The whole process of presenting our "challenge" and hearing the final presentations, was beautifully organized, and it was interesting and thought-provoking for us to work with the students, several of whom now hold a special place in my heart! The input of your students was instrumental in encouraging us to re-design our website. Some of the students re-worked our "promo" video and created the tag line we use and Shaw TV did a terrific story about us!".